N - Subeditors demand writer's respect

An expletive splattered leaked email shows the contempt that the restaurant reviewer Giles Coren has for subeditors at the Sunday Times newspaper. Coren's 1000 word rant was complaining about the removal of a single indefinite article: "I do not enjoy the suggestion that you have a better ear or eye for how I want my words to read than I do . . . And the way you avoid this kind of fuck up is by not changing a word of my copy without asking me, OK? It's easy. Not. A. Word. Ever." The subeditors replied, "Subs are no more infallible than writers. So, let's all try a little mutual respect, shall we?" (www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/23/mediamonkey, 23 July 2008, “Read Giles Coren's letter to Times subs” and www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/29/sundaytimes.pressandpublishing, 29 July 2008, “Sunday Times subeditors reply to Giles Coren”).

Comments